Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Stuffed Zucchini

My parents anniversary was coming up and we typically spend some time together on that day to celebrate what was the start of our often time crazy but always loving family. Since I was going to be out of town for both their anniversary and my birthday, I decided I would cook them dinner. I knew that no matter what I made, they would love the thought and effort behind it, but of course I wanted it to be delicious too! Both of my parents have nurtured my love of cooking and I always love being able to share the finished product with them.

So for this very special meal, I decided to go with a stuffed zucchini. I'd never made it before, but saw some recipes on Pinterest that looked very good. I blended a few things from different recipes and added some things of my own and was pleased with the results.



Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • Sm white onion chopped
  • 3 large cloves garlic minced
  • 1 med red bell pepper diced
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 4 large zucchini
  • 1 Tbsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp fennel seed crushed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 C Italian style bread crumbs
  • 1/4 C Italian style fine shredded cheese
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Heat grill to medium heat. Slice zucchini, stems on, in half length wise. Scoop out the centers, trying to keep in tact for use in the stuffing. Set aside. Lightly salt and pepper the zucchini halves and set aside and start making the stuffing.

Place a large pan over medium heat, add olive oil and warm. Add the onion, garlic, and red bell pepper, cooking until pepper is soft and onion is transparent. At this point, put the ground turkey into the pan and cook until no longer pink. Add salt, pepper, basil, and crushed fennel seed. Add zucchini and diced tomatoes. Let simmer until zucchini softens. Drain. In a mixing bowl, add meat and vegetable mixture with bread crumbs and cheese. Combine thoroughly.

Brush edges of zucchini halves with oil. Place halved zucchini on grill for about five minutes, or until softened and grill marks appear on zucchini. Remove and allow to cool slightly before stuffing. 

Stuff zucchini with mix and return to grill to warm through. Top lightly with cheese and allow to melt. Serve alone or with side of rice, quinoa, or side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment